Saturday 25 February 2017

MY 2017 FIRST SPEAKING EXPERIENCE




INTRODUCTION


Like a dream, I saw myself speaking at the Redeemed Christian Church, Mount Zion Parish on Saturday, 18th of February 2017. I was expecting it to be a success but it turned out to be a HUGE SUCCESS, a success I never was expecting. The article you are about to read is a long one but it is worth the journey. DRIVE IN AND READ THE WHOLE STORY OF HOW I SPOKE IN THIS BIG CHURCH AND THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON THAT KEEPS ECHOING IN MY MIND.




THE CALL


            On the 5th of February 2017, I received a call from my friend, Joseph Maxwell—I like calling him Jomax .” John, it seems you will be speaking in our church headquarters next week” he said. These words got me excited as I screamed with all the strength I got on my inside. “What topic will I be talking about” I asked, and his reply reduced my joy, it brought my excited joy to near ground state. ”love” he said. From my voice, he noticed something was wrong and then he said in Pidgin English, “Guy no fall my hand ooo, no go there they wake up and down ooo “. He could say that because he saw me two years ago speaking at a programme I organized at Petroleum Training Institute (PTI)—even though the program was a success, the audience spotted lots of flaws in my speaking skills and one of the flaws was what he just mentioned,  ”Jomax I will get back to you” I said just before I hung up.

            I thought deeply on the topic but I just couldn’t come up with what to say. I was expecting a topic that was ‘familiar’ to me but this wasn’t the case. I picked up my pen and a piece of paper to write down some thoughts but after writing about three lines, I went blank and that got me uneasy. The uneasiness increased when I read what I wrote & it still didn’t make tangible sense.


OUR MEETING

            During the week, precisely on Tuesday, I went to meet Jomax at his hostel and he explained how it all happened. “There was a need for a speaker and I quickly suggested you and told them of your great speaking skills, so please you have to do all to keep up to the standard I have built ”Jomax said “ You need to be at our church on the Sunday to meet with our provisional president.”

            As he spoke, I just looked at him like a man who doesn’t understand the vocabulary that escaped from his mouth. Just before we parted ways, he said “guy no fall my hand o”. That word echoed in my mind till I got home and all I could do was to pray.


MEETING WITH MR PRESIDENT 


            On Sunday 12th February, I finally met with the Teens President, Mr. Paul Agidi and he explained to me what was expected from my speaking and that I appreciated. As I walked with Jomax back to the hostel, I received a flash of light: you could create a thin line between love and purpose. This triggered me into an intensive research and three days later, the article was ready which I sent to Mr. Paul via whatsapp.


THE PROGRAMME’S EVE.

            By God’s grace, I was ready and set to deliver but yet there were some atoms of fear in me because this was the first time I would be speaking in a ‘foreign church’—all of my speaking has always being in my church.

            Suddenly, a thought forcefully emerged “why not go with Collins (a recordist) and Akpevwe (a combophonist)”. I quickly placed a call to both of them and they gave their words that they will be there.


THE DAY


            And the day finally came, I woke up early and rehearsed properly before I left and soon I arrived at the church and just the sight of the church brought a sense of worth and droplets of fear. Few minutes later Collins and Akpevwe stormed the arena.



            The programme finally began and after the various teens’ ministration, Collins and Akpevwe got on stage as they sang one of Nathan Bassey’s songs. As the ministration started, the audience were stunned as they saw these two teenagers showcasing rare talents. Akpevwe caught the attention of all as he used his musical instrument –a comb and cellophane to praise his maker.


            Finally, the hour came and I did what I knew how to do best. The thirty minutes I spoke was a success and my objectives were achieved but the truth was that the first five minutes was really a thorough battle, I noticed my hands were shaking and I was almost blank but thank God I got my confidence and nobody noticed my fear.


MOST LESSONS LEARNT  


Life is about what you know, how you express what you know, who you know and who knows you.”— Niyi Adesanya


 I was able to speak here because God used Jomax, whom I know, to create the opportunity to step into the palace just as the cup-bearer did for Joseph. Learn to build relationship with people because you don't know who God will use to promote you.



SPECIAL THANKS

            My thanks goes to God who is the giver of life and my mother, MSEJO.
I want to thank Onni Joseph, Kenneth, Prince Salem, Oyibo Lucky who gave their huge contribution to the success of the the programme.


THE ARTICLE 

You could read the article I wrote on Love: ARTICLE ON LOVE





2 comments: