Friday 30 June 2017

YOU CAN STILL MAKE IT



My seat became too hot for me to sit as I stood up and watched my team play. I shouted the names of my players as I gesticulated telling them to hit the net of our opponent. I couldn't believe my team is being defeated six goals down. As I looked at the pitch, I drifted into the realm of thoughts as I flashed back to when the league started. As a coach, I gave them, my players, a well composed pep talk as they all gave their 'new league' resolutions. I was so impressed with their resolutions and we all planned to make the league the best by winning a trophy since we had always failed. The game started well for the first few minutes, which made me relax as I sipped my cold Chivita juice but soon I lost appetite as my opponent shouted the first goal victory. I re-adjusted as I watched the game more intently and before I could spell my name, the goals came rapidly as if my goal keeper was given a red card.



 The referee whistled, which signified the first half was over, pulled me back my present problem. I watched all my players going into the dressing room like fishermen who toiled all night without a catch. Just as I was about sliding into the dressing room to give a 'low keyed' pep talk, my phone rang and that sound was a notification that I had received a mail and I quickly rushed into my mail box and what I saw broke me down: it was a mail of all the first half scores of all matches played and all of my friends who were coaches were leading their various opponents. I found myself comparing myself with my friends and I felt like David in the midst of these Giants. My heart failed me as I sat down and fell into the sea of Depression and discouragement. Despite my struggle to stay afloat, I saw myself approaching the bottom of the sea just like the Titanic Ship.


So many questions rocked my mind but there seem to be no answer. "What do I do to win this game?" I thought aloud as I ran my hands through my hair like a woman trying to wash off relaxer from her hair. I received another mail again and I was too scared to open so I don’t see a mail that will increase my Blood pressure. I quickly submerged my phone into my pocket but I felt a strong urge to read the mail and after several struggles, I gave in to read the mail and to my surprise, it was my Mentor, Sir Emmanuel Abidakun, who I fondly call SEA. The mail reads: 


"OJO! I just finished watching the first half of 'your' match a while ago and you tried but the team, LIFE, you are playing against possess years of experience and I know you are so discouraged and depressed but like Paul charged his Protégée, Timothy, I charge you in like manner to FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT OF FAITH knowing that it's not over until it's over.

 You might be losing but that doesn’t made you a Loser. You were wired to win and every opponent you meet should bring forth your ‘wiring’. I know you so well and I  know you are sitting somewhere silent and quite but I demand you to go to the dressing room, not to scold your players, but to build their mind up to fight back and win this game. You sat down watching the match and you saw all their flaws and it's high time you make some changes. You need to burn your bridges knowing that there is no excuse for failure. I like the way Mitt Romney penned this down, 'Leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses'. You are the Leader of your team. The first half is gone and never will it come back again but the outcome of the 90th minute is determined by what you do now. I have much to say but I will stop here and like Jesus said after most of his sayings, 'Let him that has ear hear...'.
 Finally, make sure you commit the rest of the game into God's hands and ask him for wisdom. I sit expectantly waiting for the game to change. You are the best OJO!"



Just as Peter's net caught a lot of fishes till it got to its breaking point, I caught a lot of inspiration and just like Elijah made an axe head float, my Mentor made my life float as I stood up. I looked at the faces of my club's fans and I saw hope in their eyes, I saw 'You-can-do-it' inscribed in their heart as I walked to the dressing room. As I got into the dressing room, the players looked at me just like a child expecting a hot slap after insulting an elder but I surprised them as I commended their effort. I made them understand it was my fault and I started putting things in place to lead us into victory. Even though it seems impossible to win, I choose to see an ‘IMpressive POSSIBILTY’ in winning. Looking at my time, I saw it was almost 1st July and we quickly prayed and got back to the field expecting a little above a half-dozen of goals...

The year, like Usain Bolt, has finished the first part of her race so fast and it approaches the finish line to give the baton to the next year. We all made New Year resolutions and plans. Half into the year, we really haven’t achieved much. Am not talking to everybody, am talking to you that is discouraged since you haven't ticked any of your achievement. Just like Thomas Edison, try one more time. You have attempted ways in which it won’t work, try doing it the right way.


YOU CAN STILL MAKE IT is the word I am leaving with you. Get closer to GOD and your Goals and soon, you will 'hit' Gold.

 I sat on my seat smiling as the referee was ready to blow in the second half, I quickly mailed my Mentor:


 "Sir Emmanuel Abidakun, I want to thank you for being a Mentor to me all these years. Your words are always inspiring and you have given me a reason to try again. I need you to relax and enjoy the game .I LOVE YOU SIR"

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely sir. Indeed ever-green

    ReplyDelete