Saturday 22 October 2016

TURNING ON THE LIGHT NINE YEARS LATER: CELEBRATING GOD’S GENERAL



            THE DARKEST DAY OF MY LIFE



OCTOBER 22nd has always been the darkest day of my life. It carried an event I never thought of having, it stole one of the strongest currencies I ever had in life, a currency I needed planned to lose so soon in my life. It punctured the balloon of joy which was in an excited state and dragged it to a ground state.
       As I stepped into October, the first date that came to my mind was 22nd and like Daniel I purposed in my heart to make it inspirational but somehow, I became emotional. Yesterday, as I was chatting with one of my Father’s close friend, I started crying. He wrote words that stabbed the skin of my tears gland, so hard that I was bleeding tears. I tried to hold the tears but I cried the more till my eyes were so red. Anyway, I sent some messages to few friends and relatives and as they replied my message, the rain of tears increased and at the same time, I was proud and brought to the reality of a life that awaits me. Before I continue, join me in my time machine as we drive back in time to exactly nine years ago when the ‘light’ of my life went off.
  
MONDAY OCTOBER 22ND 2007

I came into the room from the bathroom and I tried to prepare for but I heard my Dad’s cupboard open and heard documents kissing each other so loudly. I made my way to the sitting room and I noticed that my Dad was gathering his documents— that was shocking because he did not mention he would be travelling today. As I put finishing touches to my preparation, I noticed Mum sitting adjacent to Dad looking at him as if she was just seeing him for the first time. Anyways, not long after, I left the house for school.


Later in the evening, My Mum, Mrs. Stella Okotie, my Cousin, Jite Okotie, and I sat in the sitting room as we listened to the evening news. Mum was uncomfortable as she complained that BEST hasn’t called her— Dad had the culture of always calling his wife immediately after his arrival to Lagos. Suddenly, Mum’s Nokia 1100 rang and it was Dad calling and I remember I felt relieved but few seconds later, Mum was shocked to know that the caller was a Stranger. I guess I could remember Mum confirming she was Mrs. Okotie, the wife of the man who has the phone. The next thing I remembered was Mum shouting “JESUS” and her phone falling from her hands as she started crying like a Baby. As we asked her what exactly went wrong, she then broke the news that my Dad had an accident. Hearing that got me sick, mad and confused at the same time. I remember I cried as I was told. Mum placed a call to Dad’s number and we got the news that the accident happened at Ijebu Ode. Mum asked us to go and sleep but sleep was far from me as so many thought forced their way into my narrow and tender mind but soon I was forcefully kidnapped by sleep but I was released in the early hours of the next day only to find my Mum praying— Mum later told me years later that she didn't sleep that night, for the first time in her life, she prayed all through the night. As light broke into the day, Mum got ready and when I asked where she was going, she said she was on her was way to the hospital at Ijebu Ode. After she left, I went to school and when I came back home, she wasn’t back. At last Mum finally came back on 24th of OCTOBER 2007 but before she came back, some funny events happened.

     On Wednesday, I remember some individuals came to our house and some of them began showing extreme care towards me but the nose of my mind was too tender to smell a rat. I waited for my Mum till evening but she didn’t come. At this time, I was scared if Mum had an accident on her way back but I quickly dumped the thought because my mind couldn’t imagine the thought. I got tired of waiting for my Mum and I slept but few hours time, I woke up and heard my Mum shouting. I quickly paced to the sitting room hoping to see my Dad but he was no where to be found. I drew close to my Mum and asked where my Dad was and then I heard what turned my bright day to a thick darkness, I heard what crushed my dream of a bright future, I heard what hindered my dream of going to Covenant University, I heard what I never planned for in my life, I heard mum telling me, “YOU FATHER IS DEAD”. Dear reader, I didn’t believe what I heard even though I screamed and cried like a new born baby who came out of the womb feeling the heat of the planet. I went back to the bedroom and I wept till there was no strength in me. I thought of so many things but all I said was, HOW WILL I GO TO SCHOOL“—because as a young kid, I loved Education and you wouldn’t blame me for connecting my Dad’s death to what mattered most to me. I was given pain relief which I took but it couldn't relieve me of my pain as tears flowed down my cheek like rain falling so strongly. The news was so unreal that I had to go back to sleep but waking up the next morning didn’t change anything. I cried the more because I couldn’t still understand what it meant that my Dad was dead, that I wouldn’t see my Dad again.


As I went to school on Thursday, the world was so fake to me. I felt so empty as everybody in the area looked at me with a strong sense of pity. Getting to school, I went straight to my class and sat down. I was in my class but I was at home. My mind thought through how my Dad opened a company, EMUDOGA GLOBAL VENTURES, just few months ago. I remembered how I sold dad’s product, electric Mosquito killer, months earlier and how he gave me my commission for selling each of them. I remembered how when he comes from Lagos, we would buy a carton of tin milk and other things his family needed. Anyways, I was strong in school but as I entered the street where our house was located, I broke down. My Father’s dead MADE ME SEE MEN CRY LIKE BABIES… to be continued of the 7th of DECEMBER.
      
BIOGRAPHY OF BRO JERRY OKOTIE

Mr. Jeremiah Okotie was born in the year 1958 to the family of John Oghron Okotie of Orhoakpo town. He had his primary education at St. Joseph Roman Catholic Mission School (R.C.M) Ayila in Ogun, Waterside Local Government Area of Ogun State.

He later proceeded to Agbarho grammer School for his secondary school education. He then went to Nigeria Port Authority Training school at Tincan port Apapa, Lagos. He was posted to Warri in the year 1987 and he served for eight years before he was transferred to Lagos in the year 1995. He was married to Stella Okotie and had a Son, Ogagaoghene John OKotie.

He joined Foursquare Gospel Church in the year 1987 and became an Obedient Christian. He served God faithfully and died in the Lord. He was a gallant Soldier of our Lord Jesus Christ.

LESSONS I LEARNT FROM MY DAD

1. HE WAS A CHRISTIAN

My Dad was a true Christian. He served the Lord with all of his life. I remember going to Lagos in 2005. As I got to his office, he introduced me as his son and I heard his co-workers addressing me as PASTOR’S SON. Even as a Kid, I was proud of my father. 

2. HE WAS A READER AND A LEARNER

     My Dad was a committed Reader. Coming to our house then, you will almost think that Bro. Jerry was a Professor. He read Christian literatures, motivational books and always listened to NTA news to learn what is currently happening in the country.

3. HE WAS A FATHER AND A HUSBAND

     There are many Men but there are few Fathers and Husbands. Bro. Jerry was a Father, he made sure I had all my textbooks. He went the extra mile of buying extra textbooks, especially in mathematics and English, just so I get proper understanding of the subjects. Dad was concerned about the welfare of the children of others. I remember Dad supported paying the school fees of other children. During Christmas, Dad would buy a bag of Rice and a Carton of Chicken and would share it around until there is little or nothing remaining for his family. Those days, this really got me so angry. Dad was ready to give up his meal for a friend to be satisfied.  

     I could write on and on but I just have to stop here because my eyes cannot stop crying. The world missed a hero, she lost BRO. JERRY OKOTIE.

                                VISIONS FOR MY DAD

I have alot of plans to put in place just for my Dad’s memory to be in mind till Jesus comes. But I will share just three with you and they are:

1. Opening a Non-Governmental Organisation called JEREMIAH MEMORIAL FOUNDATION (JMF) which will do all Bro. Jerry planned to do before he died.

2. Write a book titled, “THE LIFE OF GOD’S GENERAL, BRO. JERRY OKOTIE—SECRETS OF REMAINING RELEVANT BEFORE AND AFTER DEATH”.

3. Organizing an international essay competition, JERESTEL ESSAY COMPETITION, for the less privileged in the society. The Winner would be given a scholarship to study to any level.

TRIBUTE TO BRO.JERRY OKOTIE NINE YEARS AFTER DEATH

1. “Jerry Okotie I know was a lover of God, a man that stands for nothing but the truth. HE BELIEVED IN A BETTER NIGERIA. HE WAS A MAN OF VISION… I remember one day as a kid we were in church. I switched on all the fans and lights even though there was no church service. Bro. Jerry asked why I did that and I told him I just want to consume as much as possible energy since NEPA always give us estimated bill –then there was no prepaid meter. He asked me to switch it off and start getting used to conserving energy and to avoid wastage. He said ‘if you continue this way, when prepaid meter eventually comes, that will be how you would waste it’. That was a great lesson to me, today we have prepaid meter and I am still conserving energy.” — EMMANUEL ABIDAKUN

2. “Mr. Okotie, your nine years exit is still fresh in our memory. You left a legacy that is worth emulating. While on earth, he stood for truth, loyalty, hardwork, faithfulness, peace, providence, A SOLUTION TO PROBLEM. Really, he was a genius. His work cannot be left out. God knows why he called him at that time. May his soul rest in peace”— COMFORT OKIEWHRU

3. “Wow! Two things come to mind whenever I remember Bro. Jerry Okotie. Firstly, someone who is very strict to the core in following the right path. Secondly, a God fearing Man with a living conscience. It’s a pity we all missed him”— CHARLES INIEMOR

4. “The Man, Jerry Okotie was a true Soldier of Jesus while on earth. Oh, It’s already nine years you left, many hearts is still broken and shattered, none could fill the gap of your departure created among us, a true disciple. He lived a practical Christian life in word and deed. A man of integrity, loving, caring, humble and a man of truth. As we remember you today, may your soul be blessed in his presence. Amen”— REV. NOBLE OKOKO

5. “He always scolded me when I don’t pray in church and makes me sit close to him while praying”— ELLIOT MANDEMEDON

6. “Out of thirteen in our compound, he stood out to impress me as a child, an example of how a husband and a father should be. I mean you will always see that Christ-like nature in him, a man who doesn’t mind to say Good Morning to a girl of thirteen not because he wants to correct her but because he saw her first. I admired his neat personality then, very calm in spirit, a husband who will not mind washing clothes and cooking food for his wife when she’s away. There is so much to talk about Sir Jerry which time will deny of. I won’t fail to talk about the lessons I personally after his death. I was so scared that if a man as him could be allowed to die then who am I? This was a question I ask in between tears and at that moment, it dawn on me that IT DOESN’T MATTER WHEN, WHERE AND HOW YOU DIE BUT WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO SPEND ETERNITY… Am privilege to talk about Sir Jerry today but the question to me and you is, when we are gone, what will be the story told about us be those we left behind?” — IFEOMA EKEH.

7.” …He was a great family man, A lover of God, a Positive encourager, Hard working, a man of faith, respect, order and authority. A true child of God, he loved his children and care for his family at large…”— PASTOR SHOLA MENE SMART


       I really have to drop my pen here but I AM PROUD OF MY FATHER, HE LIVED A LIFE THAT I AM YET TO LIVE. THE MINIMUM STANDARD FOR ME IS A GREAT ONE. I NEVER WANTED A BE SO GREAT, I ALWAYS WANTED A QUIET LIFE BUT THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE THE WORLD IS WAITING TO SEE WHAT WILL BECOME OF HIS ONLY CHILD. I HERERBY TURN ON THE LIGHT OF THIS DAY BECAUSE WITH MY DAD’S STORY, I WILL TURN MY PAIN TO GAIN. I SAW AN ESSAY COMPETITION WHICH I AM ABOUT TO WRITE NOT BECAUSE I WANTED TO BUT BECAUSE I WANT TO TAKE A STEP TOWARDS TURNING MY PAIN TO GAIN. PLEASE, DO WELL TO LIKE THAT ESSAY NOT BECAUSE OF ME BUT BECAUSE OF MR JERRY OKOTIEDEAR READER, WILL YOUR CHILDREN BE ABLE TO WRITE SUCH AS INSPIRING ARTICLE ABOUT YOU WHEN YOU ARE GONE? WILL YOUR KIDS BE PROUD OF YOU WHEN YOU ARE GONE? WHAT WILL BE WRITTEN OF YOU WHEN YOU ARE GONE?... to be continued on December 7th 2016 when I will discuss what happened during the service of song and the burial.


Bro. Jerry, I guess you are proud of your Son, you have given me a story that will be read by generational unborn. You have given me a legacy to follow, a path to walk through.
GOOD NIGHT BRO. JERRY
GOOD NIGHT BRO. JERRY

AND WITH TEARS, I SAY, “GOOD NIGHT BRO. JERRY”

     TODAY, 22ND OF OCTOBER 2016, I HEREBY FORMALLY TURN ON THE LIGHT OF MY LIFE AND DECLARE OCTOBER 22ND AS THE MOST AMAZING DAY OF MY LIFE.



UNLIMITED POJOMATICS

Son Of Brother Jerry Okotie (SOBJO)

No comments:

Post a Comment